I have been kicking around this idea for awhile, and I am interested to see if there is a demand for it. This is something that I really wish I had access to when I was starting out, and I honestly believe it can be a valuable resource to some people.
I do not claim to be any sort of master, or all knowing, and I understand that. A big craze right now is people who are experienced offering workshops that people can pay to attend. These talks range anywhere from the business of photography, shooting, lighting, marketing, etc. hopefully taught by experts. This is different.
I am offering a free internship, which I will only accept a few people. I feel keeping the number small will allow each individual more time to learn. I will gauge how many people I will take on depending on the level of interest.
Of course, I am still sorting this all out. I do not know what I want to go over, or how long it will be, or if I even will be making this at all.
Here are a few ideas on what I will be doing/covering:
- Gear – what I use, what I believe you need, etc.
- Shooting – hopefully set up a few group shoots to where I can talk people through things.
- Your camera – get you off auto, and learn how to take advantage of your dSLR.
- My products and the labs I use.
- My shooting and editing philosophy.
- How I got started to where I am now, and how I would recommend it.
- Maybe bring an intern or 2 to a wedding.
Who this internship IS for:
- Someone interested in wedding photography, and is serious about it.
- Someone who has a dSLR, and wants to learn more from it. Sorry, point and shoot cameras will NOT suffice.
- You do not need to have a lot of gear, but I am going to be recommending a lot to you. I feel if you are doing wedding photography, it is important to have a solid set of equipment behind you. Be prepared for this.
- Someone in the San Diego area, or willing to come down.
Who this internship is NOT for:
- Established professionals. You should know what I have to say, and going over camera settings wont be productive for you.
- People wanting to get into different types of photography: Landscapes, babies, bands, clubs, etc. Although these things are often incorporated into wedding photography, these are not areas I specialize in or can give much insight.
If this is something that you are interested in, do me a favor. Leave a comment and tell me what you would like to learn. If there is enough genuine interest, I will work up some plans.